Forum Thread: Self Esteem and a Positive Challenge

I recently read that 90% of the population has an issue with low self esteem. Wow, that seems like a high number.

I am sure you are familiar with the saying "Sticks and Stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me."

Remembering that phrase when someone verbally attacks you may help you get through the moment. However, nothing could be further from the truth. Sticks and stones leave physical bruising and marks that for the most part, in time heal. Words on the other hand, while they do not leave outward sign of damage still cause hurt and pain. The scars are on the inside and cripple that intangible thing called our self motivation.

Think back to when you were a child. How many times did you hear the words: stop that, quit it, your slow, your fat, your ugly, your….fill in blank with your own experience. Kids can be pretty brutal.

I was asked once to take notice of the positive and negative statements that I observe in a day. Statements that were made to me, about me or around me about other people, in addition take a close look at what I say to others as well as myself. Try that for a day and see what you results you find. You might be surprised at how biased the outcome will be in favor of the negative talk.

I would like to give you a challenge. Choose a day of the week and refuse to say anything negative about someone. Refuse to take part in any negative conversations. Refuse to read or listen to any negative media. You will be pleasantly surprised at how you feel at the end of the day. If you can make it through a day try two, maybe a week or a month. Don't worry if you slip now and again, but be willing to start over.

If you chose to take the challenge please let me know by leaving a comment below. I would like to hear how it came out for you as well if you would be willing to share your experience in future post.

As a parting thought; if you or someone you know suffers from low self esteem or low self confidence I would like to suggest to you one of my favorite audio programs "Maximum Confidence" by Jack Canfield. Just click the link below to get your own personal copy or to give one as a gift.

Be the First to Respond

Share Your Thoughts

• Hot
  • Active